PAWS abides by the 5 Freedoms which outline five aspects of animal welfare under human control:
- Freedom from thirst and hunger – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease – by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express most normal behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Our mission is to ensure all of our welfare clients’ animals have these freedoms and to educate the public about the importance of these freedoms.